16 October 2005

Biting off more than you can chew

This is a couple of weeks old, so you may have already seen it. If so, I apologise for wasting your time, but it has only just come to my attention [hat-tip to Bostanio].

We've all heard of 'biting off more than you can chew,' right? But in your mind's eye, I bet you weren't picturing this sort of thing when you thought about such instances of overstretch and overcommitment.

Python 1 - Alligator 1 [Source: BBC News]

To summarise: Two deadly predators meet in Florida swamp. Thirteen foot long Burmese python and six foot long alligator establish that they are not exactly on speaking terms. Burmese python swallows alligator whole (as you do). Python gets his comeuppance for such gluttony and promptly, umm, explodes. No, really, it's true. Check out the full story at BBC News.

As Bostanio put it when he sent me the link. "I think that's called a draw." Quite. Nature certainly ain't always cute and fluffy, is it! I don't imagine anyone in Florida will particularly miss either of those two particular deadly predators, but it certainly makes a great piece of weird and quirky news.